Ottumwa Broadband Study
The Ottumwa Regional Legacy Foundation has hired SmartSource Consulting of Grimes, Iowa to conduct a phased Community Broadband Study. The first phase of the study, underway now, has the following goals:
Goals of the Pre-Feasibility Study
1) Educate citizens in the study area about the importance of broadband service for education, health care, quality of life, business, and the economy of Ottumwa.
2) Engage in discussions with individuals, anchor entities, and leadership groups to identify existing broadband gaps.
3) Conduct a comprehensive survey to measure attitudes about existing providers and gauge interest in a public or private solution to close those gaps.
4) Identify the geographic location of citizens that would be interested in receiving services from a new, fiber-based provider.
5) Gather speed test data from citizens in the study area to measure actual delivered internet speeds, not just advertised speeds.